Monday, April 07, 2008

Spring Break Canadian style... eh hosers!

Not last week but the week before was Kyle's Spring Break. We wanted to make good use of his time off so we took a little jont up North to see Niagara Falls. The entire time we have lived here I have wanted to go up there to see them. I was a little nervous to travel with Ben for the first time, but I figured that this would be the easiest time to travel with him because he still sleeps quite a bit. The drive was supposed to be about 6 hours 45 minutes but it took us acouple hours longer because of stopping to feed and change Ben multiple times. But other than that the drive went pretty smooth and it was fun to road-trip through upstate New York.

We had heard that the view from the Canadian side was considerably better so we made the trip international. It was evening when we finally pulled in to our Canadian Hotel so we waited till the next morning to check out the falls. The Hotel we stayed in was pretty comfy and we had a HUGE bathtub! Ben took his biggest tubbie yet! He must have really liked it because he slept 7 HOURS straight that night! He had done a 6 hour stint a few times before but never 7... it was delightful! That morning it was sunny but COLD so we bundled Ben up because it is still pretty frigid up north. I think he was the toastiest of us all, all snug warm in his stroller.

Our hotel was walking distance to the Falls and all the attractions so we headed out for our sightseeing adventure. The main street where everything was centered was so funny. There were Fun Houses, an indoor water park, shops, a ferris wheel, restaurants, multiple Ripley's type places and like 5 Haunted Houses open year round! It was a funny place -- fun for the whole family. At the bottom end of the street is where the park and walk-way to view the falls was.

The falls were AMAZING!! I was excited to see them but I was much more impressed than I thought I would be. The amount of water flowing over them is mind blowing. I could have stared at them all day. The river was still frozen over so the Maid of the Mist boats weren't running. I was really hoping to take a ride up close and personal. But the frozen river was beautiful and neat to see. We spent a couple hours strolling around and enjoying the views. Then we said goodbye and headed back to the United States.

On our way home we stopped in Palmyra to see the Church sites there. First we saw the Hill Cumorah and Ben had a little lunch stop there. Then we walked through the Sacred Grove and checked out the Smith Farm. It was very touching to see and stand in the spots where such amazing things happened. I am really happy we had the chance to go to these special places in our church's history. During Gerneral Conference last week when the Tabernacle Choir sang Joseph Smith's First prayer, it put a huge smile on my face -- It was really neat feeling to know that I had stood in that spot.

After stopping in Palmyra we headed home. It was a short trip but we packed a lot of fun in. Here are some pictures and video that we took of our crazy Spring Break fun. Enjoy!

BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.


11 comments:

Julie Knowlton said...

Well hello there Hillary! So good to hear from you. Of course I remember who you are! Isn't blogging so fun? Thanks for saying hello, and you bet we are now blog buddies.

P.S. Ben is absolutely adorable. Good job. :)

Lindy said...

Ok- My favorite Picture is of him in his car seat with that cutest hat with ears on it!!! So cute. Also, what the heck kind of stroller is that?? I am glad he was such a good traveler and that he slept 7 hours. Nick doesn't even do that. LUcky! Anyways looks like a fun and long quick adventure.

Jacqueline said...

I'm so impressed that you took a trip with baby ben- You two are quite adventurous! Love love LOVE the stroller (and little guy inside of it) :)

The Hunt's said...

It does look frigid, but so beautiful! Always so nice to get out of town for a couple of days, it looks like Ben is going to be a great little adventurer! Just like mom and dad! And do share what kind of stroller that is...I am on the hunt! It looks Bugaboo-ish.

Natasha said...

I decided to set my blog to private, again! I am paranoid about all of the weirdos out there..so for now i feel safer doing this. please email me YOUR email address so i can send you an invite!! thanks! Natasha

tashetta@hotmail.com

Sorensen Family said...

Hey Kylle, Hillary, and baby Ben! Looks like a great trip. Cute hat, I remember when you bought that.

Can't wait to see you guys!

Love ya,
Linsey

Lindy and Ryan said...

Looks like you have been having some fun!! I am jealous. Ben is so cute. I miss him, well I want to meet him! I hope you guys are doing well! love you
Lindy B.

Bret Baker said...

hey sorensens, this is bret baker, i was just blog-stalking and found your blog. just wanted to say what's up.

schaars said...

Hey Hillary this is Ashlee Eskelson Schaar. I was on Natalie Whitneys blog and clicked on yours and got so excited. Your little boy is darling and you are the cutest momma I just wanted to say hi. You should talk Kelsey into having a blog. Talk to you soon.

Ashlee
schaarfamily.blogspot.com

The Pizza Family said...

How fun!! he is so dang cute!! that's great that he's a good traveler!! that's exactly what you want!! can't wait to meet the little guy!

Parker or Jessica said...

Kyle and Hillary!

Hey guys, its the southern california contigent of our spread all over smith family... Jess and I appreciated your comment and the discovery of our blog the other day...

Hey we would love to see you guys and let little Beck and Ben meet each other this summer for sure.

I am hardly ever on as a blogger, usually it is Jess, so why dont you shoot me an email @: parker@smithpalmer.com

and lets chat about the summer plans in SLC, and that Capistrano trip, we are about 35 minutes away and would love to get together for lunch and a meet/greet.

anyway, Hill you look great as always, and your cousin Parker misses you much and hopes that you guys are well.

Ill look for that email, and we can communicate better that way!

Love you guys!

Parker and Jessica Smith
(and little beckam too)