Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Labor Day trip to Acadia, Maine - '07

This year for our Labor Day holiday we headed up to Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island in northern Maine. This was our second trip up there and this year we went with our friends Arienne and Chris. Adrienne is a third year Dental Student in Kyle's class and her boyfriend Chris is a second year Dental Student at UConn also. GO HUSKIES!! :)

We left Friday after work and camped in Freeport, Maine (about halfway to Acadia). Freeport is a cool little Maine town with some really great outlets. Saturday we shopped the outlets a little in the morning (as long as the boys could stand it!) then hit the road and headed to Acadia. After checking into our campsite we went on a really cool hike called the Precipice Trail. Kyle and I did the same one last year and had to go again because it is such a neat hike. It's not real long but you go straigt up the face of the mountain. To get up to the next ledge or cliff there are ladders and bridges built into the face of the rock and it is so much fun. However this year, being pregnant, with about 20 more pounds and a lower energy level than I am used to -- this hike about kicked my butt. Kyle had to give my butt a bost up some of the ladders and over rocks and I was SO SLOW. I felt like I was hiking in someone else's body! But I had fun anyway.

That night for dinner we had my favorite -- Tin Foil Dinners! I love them and I look forward to the times we go camping when we make these. And I must say that I make a good one!! The next day everyone wanted to go on another hike and because of my experience the previous day I was a sissy and decided to let them go have all the fun and I would sit this one out. Well, at the trail-head of the hike they chose there was a BEAUTIFUL lake that had a cute little grassy knoll over-looking the water and all the wonderful scenery. I set up my chair on the grass and read, relaxed and took a nap. I couldn't have had a better time while Kyle, Chris and Adrienne took their long, arduous hike! :)

For dinner that night we got some live Maine lobser from a local fisherman and cooked them ourselves. I admit, it's not my favorite thing to drop a live animal into boiling water but they sure taste good when they are done!! With a little melted butter and fresh squeezed lemon.... delicious!

On Monday we cleaned up camp and took one last driving tour around Acadia and then headed home. The trip was a blast and we had so much fun with our friends! Thanks for the good times Adrienne and Chris! It is so much fun to live in this part of the country and get to explore and visit all these fun places!

Hope all is well with everyone!!!
P.S. CONGRATULATIONS J.J. and LINDY!!! (They just had a baby boy on Monday!!) We love you!! Can't wait to see the new baby!
This album is powered by BubbleShare - Add to my blog

5 comments:

Sorensen Family said...

That looks like so much fun. I have always wanted to visit Maine. You had better have been reading HARRY POTTER while the others hiked!

Natalie said...

You guys are so adventurous! That sounds like so much fun. Sometimes my dad used to bring home live lobsters when he would go out of town, and it FREAKED me out when we would cook them!

alysha said...

looks fun, and beautiful.
so why don't you come down and spend the night on Saturday, skip church, and we will go shopping.
We are going on a day trip for the 30th but will be home in the evening and ready to party!!

LJABC and D said...

Does the word JEALOUS mean anything to you? Wish we were there too, just not on the canoe..... what a nightmare. The "mobsters" look delicious. jj

alysha said...

so what's going on with this weekend?